Thursday, July 24, 2008

A nice cup of tea and a sit down

Firstly, thanks for all the congratulations about handing in my thesis. If you still want to enter the competition there is another day to get your guess in, have a second guess if you want - only two though (note: I've extended the deadline by a day). If you want to see it knitted up, here's a shot of a skein I dyed at the same time. A few people asked about the dying process, I'm writing it up on the yarn's ravelry page.

More good news: the Interweave preview is up for fall and one of my designs is in it. To celebrate, I brewed up a good old pot of tea.

Except, I stuck a load of yarn in it rather than actually drinking the stuff. I'd read about people dying with tea before, and, still reeling from the smell of koolaid (people drink it?), I thought I'd give it a go. I got a bit carried away and dyed about half my stash, its amazing to see how the different yarns took the tea differently (its all the same brand of tea-bag).

tea-dyed sockyarn

Above is some more bamboo/wool sock yarn, which I think will end up as a baby garment. Below are before and after shots of Orangina I made with some cotton bought in the summer sales. The original colour was a bit too bright yellow. Dunking the FO in a saucepan of tea before I blocked it has just muted it a bit and brought out the golds. Only a slight change, but a much more wearable garment.

knitted corn organina blocking

Some more before and after shots, this time from a shawl of knit/crochet hexagons. Again, the original (this time a bright white) was a bit too strong and the tea calmed things down, but it came out much more bronze than the other two.

hexagons close up bronzed silk

And finally, because you can't have afternoon-tea without some bread and jam, another comparison shot from a taste-test I did today. The front bit of bread has some raspberry jam I made back in April. The one behind is from a batch I did on tuesday, to a recipe from the Guardian. This new batch uses a lot less sugar, and consequentially, to my taste, is a lot yummier - its much more fruity. Still, I'm sure it won't keep nearly so long.

jam face off

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummie, looks good your jam !

Anonymous said...

Firstly, big congratulations on finishing the thesis! I hope you have been doing lots of drinking tea, sitting in sun and knitting. Also I love the interweave design - very lovely.

Team Knit said...

You know, with all the talk of koolaid dying, I hadn't thought of tea dying, and yours looks SO pretty! I love how it toned down that yellow into something a little friendlier for the wardrobe. Great idea!

- Julie

erngrn said...

oof!! i had no idea you could dye yarn with koolaid.

funny... i have the koolaid man tattooed on my ankle (just to make it clear, it is a huge joke).

hi by the way, i'm erin. i've been stocking your blog :)

Anonymous said...

I like the effect of the tea for toning things down. I wonder if you'd get a more orange colour from Yorkshire Tea? I used it once, a long time ago, and the tea came out the same colour as the box.

I like the socks in IK too, I'll be adding them to my long, long queue.

Christie said...

What a wonderful idea to dunk the pieces in tea!

Anonymous said...

I love how the yarn has reacted so differently with the tea, especially that stuff you used for the hexagons.

melissa said...

i just saw your design in the interweave preview. congratulations, they're beautiful socks!

spajonas said...

love your pattern in IK! how fantastic! congratulations! :)

and wow, i had no idea that tea could really be used to dye yarn. i've seen it used to dye paper before but never yarn. awesome idea to try it on tons of different fiber blends!

schrodinger said...

Congrats on the thesis.

And the pattern in interweave - wow! LOVE it!

Ink and Indigo said...

What an amazing idea. I have so many fruit teas in the cupboard, I could probably dye every colour eunder the sun. Congrats on the thesis and pattern. Those Guardian recipes are yummy, aren't they? Looking forward to the book of knitting patterns they're including on Saturday.

Veronique said...

Congrats on getting published in IK! That is so exciting :)
And good idea on using tea to dye yarn.

Knittripps said...

Tea and yarn and jam...yum! Congratulations on your design in Interweave.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow I best finish my Bacchus tout de suite, right? This would be the perfect time, actually as all my other projects are bugging the shit out of me...

Sylvia - Mommy said...

Hi! I'm very very new to the knitting world and have been a committed blog stalker of yours, so just thought I'd finally stop and say hi! lol

You're incredible talent and smarts is inspiring!

*hugs*
Sylvia

Term Papers said...

Thank you for writing this article. Very interesting.

ramada plaza hotel anaheim said...

Inspiring post. I think that this is a nice information to read a question about the topic. I think that this is a good thing to ask for. Cheers to all of you.