Thursday, July 03, 2008

Finished (ish)

cable tee - my view landscape

I've always wanted to take a photo of something I've knitted from the wearer's point of view, but I've never had a good enough camera before. You will have to excuse these 'in the mirror' shots - no time for a proper photoshoot.

cable tee full cable tee - arm

Anyway, the FO is Catriona by Debbie Bliss. I had wanted to make this top for ages (I just loved the cable pattern) but convinced myself that buying yet another knitting book for just the one pattern was an extravagance. Then I discovered the wonders of prima magazine's online knitting archive. The project is ravelled here, but the stats for blog record are as follows:

Needles: 3.0 mm & 2.5 mm addi circs.
Yarn: 6.5 skeins of Rowan RYC Cashsoft 4 Ply in 'monet'. The first skein was a christmas present from my brother, I just added a few more to make it into a whole garment - thanks for the inspiration Jim!
Mods: I worked in the round till v-neck divide, then seporate pieces flat. I contemplated steeking, but was too much of a wimp. Only two little seams for the shoulders, which if I'd been thinking I could have kitchenered. As usual, I did the entire thing without the aid of a cable needle. I also sketched out a chart as, it being a Debbie Bliss pattern there wasn't one and I prefer things pictorially.

The project actually started out as the chevron lace top from Romantic Style (wip shot here). I also adapted that to work in the round, but just after I divided for the arms I decided it wasn't nearly as nice as it looked in the pattern photos (especially the non-lace bits under the armpits), so frogged it down to the ribbing.

I'm very pleased with it, the sleeves are way more flattering than I thought they'd be - I might work up a design using similar sleeves if I have time this summer.

cable tee & camera

And in non-knitting life, here's a very nearly done work-in-progress and a very exciting 'finished object'. The wip is a print-out of my thesis. My 2nd-supervisor wanted a paper copy to read from, and because I'd just been treating it electronically, only occasionally printing a chapter at a time, I'd not really had an idea of its size before. Thank goodness I inherited a box of my Dad's giant paperclips (he orchestrated film scores, he needed good paperclips). The FO is a book of academic essays I co-edited.

THESIS! book spine

Today is 'polishing off conclusion day'. Then I'm emailing the thesis to my mum for a proof-read and running off to Oxford for the weekend for a History of Science conference.

23 comments:

Meghan said...

that is gorgeous! I love the color.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love the cables on this? They are lovely and the top perfectly fits you!

RooKnits said...

Gorgeous

Katie M. said...

The cables are lovely! As is an almost-complete thesis!

Anonymous said...

I see why you wanted to knit that sweater! It looks very good on you.

wazz said...

Catriona is lovely - I have had me beady eye on that pattern for a while - really like the sleeves.
And congrats on near completion

Elizabeth said...

Congrats on being almost-there with your thesis - that is such a wonderful feeling! And your cabled FO is lovely, too.

Anonymous said...

Simply magnificient !!

Anonymous said...

that looks great! the cables are fantastic. and congrats on an almost-done thesis!

Anonymous said...

very, very beautiful. and thanks for the tip about patterns!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Ooh! I've been admiring this pattern for a few weeks now, and I was very excited to find out that it's now available for free. Yours is so beautiful! I love that yarn, too - great choice. If I make one I think I would go for the in-the-round option too; it looks like it's worked brilliantly.

And the thesis! Wow, congratulations on that one too. You must feel so proud and excited. :)

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You might be the vampiest Historian of Science at that conference, unless of course Lisa Randall show up...heh heh!

Anonymous said...

That looks fabulous! Also Prima's knitting archive is really good - I didn't know they had so many free patterns online. I seem to have cables on the brain these days.... Hurrah for nearly being there with your thesis - lets catch up soon. Lara x

Team Knit said...

ooh, those cables are gorgeous!! what a fabulous FO.

- Julie

Knittripps said...

Beautiful new top! It fits you perfectly.

Jesse said...

Thanks for that link, it looks like a lovely pattern. And congrats on the nearly complete thesis!

spajonas said...

what a great top! and you're right the cable pattern is fabulous.

holy moses! look at your thesis! what a stack :)

Veronique said...

Those cables are beautiful! Quite FO you've got there :)
And congrats on your thesis!!

Lisa D. said...

Love it!!! I'm definitely adding that to my queue. Looks fabulous on you- great fit and color.

Erin said...

It looks beautiful on you. I love this pattern!

Sabrina Hirsch said...

OMG, look at those cables, what an amazing fit too! Love it!

www.segovia-3d.com said...

This can't actually work, I suppose like this.

Octavia said...

Wow, there is a lot of helpful information in this post!