Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rambling Rose

I finished Rambling Rose.
rambling rose, bottom

Needles: 2mm and 2.75mm addis
Yarn: recycled sienna, in some pink colour (I've had it for years, please don't ask what it is exactly as I have no idea).
Mods: smaller needles & slightly off yarn (see below), I made the roses slightly smaller but other than that I followed the pattern almost exactly.

rambling rose - top

Verdict? I should have taken the time to skein up and wash the yarn before re-knitting with it, even blocked, it's pretty kinky with slightly uneven tension. Plus cotton glace is maybe a little heavier than the 4ply suggested. I compensated by using slightly smaller needles, but I still think it would have been neater at a smaller gauge.

The pattern was nice enough to knit, lots of st st, but I wanted a break after lace. There's a mistake in the start of the sleeves, but its pretty obvious (so obvious in fact that I've now forgotten what it was...).

It's not especially flattering done up, but with the ribbon tied at the back, all Matilda Jane style, and it's about perfect. I love the flower panel, I may make a scarf or socks based on it.

rambing rose - done

22 comments:

Stacey said...

that is beautiful!!! that lace/rose panel adds just the right touch!

Veronique said...

Lovely! But we don't get to see it on? :(
I hope the kinks work themselves out eventually.

Elizabeth Carls said...

It's beautiful! I think a scarf or even shawl of the rose panel is a fantastic idea!

Kara said...

Wow that ramblin' rose is amazing! I have a sister who knit one, so I know what goes into it. Amazing job!

Pig wot flies said...

That's beautiful Alice! Well done you.

craftoholic said...

Very pretty, i like the smaller roses too. I think that flower panel would look perfect on the back of a kneehigh.

Christie said...

It looks great! The floral panel is expecially pretty.

Oh, and the link to the original sweater wasn't working.

Sherrill said...

Simply beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes, socks with bobbly roses! Love your cardigan, and can't wait to make the scarf. I think you're being too harsh aobut the gauge and all - looks beautiful, and personal, to me. You're a legend.

Princessdeia said...

That is amazing!
I love the colour, it works well.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

So lovely, love the lace/rose panel as it's just enough embellishment without becoming overly froufrou!

Linda said...

It is gorgeous, all those lovely flowers! :)

opportunityknits said...

It's pretty in pink, a very vintage style.

Christy said...

Well done.
I always think it feels especially good to give a yarn a new home in a nice sweater if it has been lingering in some other forgotten item.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely job! I've knit this one too, and I know what an endurance test it can be - so congrats on finishing it! would love to see a modeled photo if you get the chance.

Oh, and congrats on your new Knitty pattern - the lion washcloth is so cute.

HDW said...

It is beautiful!!! I love it!!!

aija said...

The flower panel and color make this just stunning!!

knittingphilistine said...

Oh, I do love it. The color and the sweet little roses make it perfect.

Knitting Up A Storm said...

That is a gorgeous cardigan! I love the color and embellishments that it called for! And the tie!

BrownPants said...

This is just gorgeous! Awesome job. I love how the black ribbon contrasts with the pink!

www.muebles-en-leon.com said...

Wow, there's so much worthwhile information here!

site said...

Here, I do not actually consider this will have success.