Sunday, January 07, 2007

xmas FOs (forecast, legwarmers, armwarmers)

I finished three things over Christmas. Count 'em. They were all done and dusted for the start of 2007, but it took me a while to sort photos.

forecast side and back

First up, Forecast, which I started during the october knitflicks. I used barginous Rowanspun Aran. Like most tweeds, it magically softened up after washing. The colour looks nicest in sunlight, and nothing like the "caviar" the yarn's named after. But I like it, it reminds me of a nice warming wholemeal bread. It's a bit baggy under the arms, but not terribly so - I could probably have made the size down, but it looks ok and is comfortable. I did the same mods as Guavaseeds, except I kept the 5st bobbles and decreased a few extra sts at the start of the arms. I only used 6 buttons, but they are HUGE ones, which I like the look and feel of.

forecast front

Illusion legwarmers. Essentially the lovemeknot socks, sans feet. In brown wool leftover from the hotwater-bottle cover striped with cashsoft 4ply to save my feet from itches. Check out the hidden purple hearts! I need more legwarmers, expect at least two more pairs before the cold season is out.

illusion legwarmers (illusion hidden) illusion legwarmer

Lastly, some armwarmers. A sort of upside down version of the lace up gloves in Alterknits, similar to Ysolda's laceup opera gloves, but in the round from the cuff down. Two balls dk cashmerino to match my shedir. The best thing about them is that you can stick your thumb in any of the spaces between the ribbon lace-up, they can be armwarmers stuck under the wrist, or super-warm top-less mittens worn high up the hand. I need that flexibility in glove-type things. I may make more.

lace up gloves 3

24 comments:

Veronique said...

Damn, you've been very busy! All you FOs look lovely. Forecast looks beautiful! And the gloves with the lacing on the side is a brilliant idea. Oh, and glad to see you're getting good use out of the La Droguerie yarn :)

Allegra said...

Great FOs! All of them!

rfg said...

Love the forecast! Everything looks great.

schrodinger said...

Wow, the forecast is bloody gorgeous. What great FO pictures.

Nadia said...

Wow! Great gloves!

Wendy DG said...

Whoa. That sweater is awesome. It looks like it was interesting and fun to knit, too. Lots of variation that looks great when all put together. You have great taste!

Alice said...

I love the way you're wearing your Forecast. Great colour, too (and buttons).

You beat me to it on the Ysolda thingies. Huff!!

BrownPants said...

They're all gorgeous! Love the shedir

BrownPants said...

What the hell am I talking about? I mean Forecast. (It's so impressive I was befuddled :)

Sarah said...

I love that forecast. Damn, that's a good looking sweater!

Pig wot flies said...

Gorgeous, all of them. Must finish my Forecast. I'm nearly there. Just the secpnd sleeve the finsih.

Gina said...

Everything looks beautiful, but your Forecast has my jaw dropping to the floor -- divine!

spajonas said...

oooh! i love all of your FOs! the forecast is great. i rarely see anyone make the actual version WITH the bobbles. they really are cute..

as are the leg warmers and wrist warmers! great choices.

Anonymous said...

I love your Forecast. The color is so soft, yet rich. You were busy over Christmas and have a great batch of FO's to show for it!

craftoholic said...

I love your Forecast, I always wondered what that color looks like knit up, and it's really pretty!

Anushka said...

Lovely knits - I like the forecast too. Amazing quite how different the colour is to on the website...If I didn't have quite so much else to knit I think I'd make one in bright green.

Sarah said...

Oh my god! Your Forecast is gorgeous. It makes me want to knit one. And the gloves are very stylish.

Lyndsey-Jane said...

Ihave never really been a fan of Forecast...until now. I just love yours so much so that I rushed over to the cumberpatch and ordered the yarn to make it. It looks so diffeent it a more subtle colour than in the pattern. I've been inspired. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

The armwarmers are so clever! And the Forecast turned out perfectly.

Anonymous said...

So many beautiful knits!! I just got some yarn for Forecast - so I am excited to see your lovely version. The color I got it even similar to yours. I hope it turns out as well whenever I get around to making it ;)

Very cool legwarmers and mitts too. I am thinking about some mitts like that with the lace-ups for some of the yarn in my stash.

Beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

oh my, your forecast is beautiful! and i love the ribbon lacing. so pretty! :)

angiu said...

Your forecast is perfect!!
i've planned to do the same using the same yarn.. may I ask how many skeins it needs?

thank you

Alice said...

I used 4 but... it ONLY just did it - I've have liked to be able to make it longer, and if I'd not decreased round the top of the arms I'd probably not have had enough.

Ariana Richardo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.