Sunday, September 10, 2006

snow


The picture above is an alternative chart I've worked out for Melanie's new snowflake socks pattern. The original pattern uses a 13st repeat which is a bit limiting in terms of doing larger/ smaller sizes. It also has a slightly odd thick column in the middle of each pattern repeat. So I thought I'd play around with it a bit. However I'm yet to try it out on anything other than paper - this version may look terrible. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestions about the wool. I really like the idea of a felted bag. But I don't think I'd use a felted bag. And I want to make something I'll wear. So it may well be fair isle legwarmers, which'll give me a chance to use one of the amazing pattern books my SP7 secret pal, Marion, sent me. But I'm going to leave it a month or so, till it's nearer legwarmer season.

I have an exam this week. Well, the closest to an exam British PhD students ever have - it's a sort of half-way check up. But I need to pass it for my funding to continue. Plus I've been interviewing authors and illustrators the last few weeks, so I have a chunk of transcribing to do. Internet off, knitting away and back to work. On a Sunday. I know. (I plan to have a bit of a break for Simpsons later).

11 comments:

granolagirl said...

I just started my first fairisle project, a great vintage looking pair of legwarmers from knitty. It takes a lot of concentration (so I'm not able to bus knit it) but I think the project I'll turn out will be so rewarding.

Anonymous said...

good luck with the exam!

(and that lace chart)

Anonymous said...

thanks for working out that chart

Or rather thanks if it works - let us know if it does, I'd love to try those socks but wanted to try them smaller. I thought they'd be so cute for a kid.

good luck with that exam

ofpinsandneedles said...

Good luck Alice!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! And thanks for commenting over at our place :D

Kelly said...

Good luck!

Both on the exam and tearing yourself away from the needles/keyboard...

Sarah said...

Good luck with your exam!

Lone Knitter said...

Good luck with your Ph.D. exam. As a Ph.D. student myself, I know how frustrating it can be sometimes to get through these hurdles that are more time consuming than challenging. You'll get your knitting-life back soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow - a PhD with no exams - that must be nice! I've gotten past the 3 I've had to take, and it's only writing from here on out... Good luck with your test/checkup/thing, and be sure to celebrate with some wine and knitting when you're done. And chocolate!

How about some felted boxes and/or bowls with the wool?

invertir en oro said...

I know how frustrating it can be sometimes to get through these hurdles that are more time consuming than challenging

www.lerida-3d.com said...

Goodness, there is really much useful material here!