Saturday, April 22, 2006

stash

This photo is of some stuffed birds on display at the Horniman museum. It has nothing to do with knitting, except that these birds are "red faced love birds" and I'm feeling a bit red faced. About the thing most knitters feel embarrassed about, my stash.

But in a moment of productivity (or was it procrastination, I have a pile of marking sitting next to me...) I joined stashalong.

Still, I'm not about to stand up and say "My name is Alice, and I have a yarn problem". Not because I'm in denial. Much. I've seen the flashes of stashes, I'm not that bad, but my box of yarn does bug me.

My stash can be characterised into three groups:

  • Leftovers - balls, or rather almost-balls, leftover from projects or ideas that didn't work out. These are the most annoying.

  • Gifts - I love the challenge of getting yarn from someone and having to work out what to do with it, but they do sit in your stash till inspiration hits.

  • Jumpers - I blame cucumberpatch and their great deals. Plus, I frogged the first jumper I ever made, so have a jumper's worth of red matchmaker dk too.

There is also a fair amount of sockyarn, but that doesn't count. Well, not so much. Ahem. It's only five actual pairs of "unassembled socks", with maybe a pair or two's worth of leftovers which could be turned into stripy socks.

I've signed up for three whole months of no yarn buying. Which includes no sock yarn. I'm allowed a day off a month, but that's way more than I need (as I said, I don't really have a "yarn problem"). I might buy some boy-coloured sock yarn for a few gift celebrations I have this term (e.g. father's day). But that's it.

Ideas include blankets and toys for odd bits, plus learning to crochet. First step includes clearing some of my bead stash too, so I'll post a beaded icord tutorial sunday/ monday when I've sorted my camera.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, sock yarn does count

*karen said...

My stash also isn't as bad as other stashes I've seen, but it does cause me some guilt/stress. I have several balls of tiny leftovers and considered making something like a door hanging/curtain out of it, but I always get too lazy.

Ashley said...

Oh, the stash stress is no fun. Be strong.

I love that the lovebirds are upside down.

Anonymous said...

Why feel ashamed about your stash? You accumulate beautiful things for the pass time you love. I don't see any shame in that. And what a thrill to be able to "shop" at home.

Penis Enlargement said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

VigRX Plus said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this. If possible, as you gain expertise, It is extremely helpful for me. would you mind updating your blog with more information

agua de sobron said...

Gosh, there is really much useful information above!

www.espaƱa-3d.com said...

Pretty helpful info, much thanks for the article.

duko.es said...

Quite effective material, thank you for the article.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me
kid games
friv2
unblocked games 77
juego de un show mas